A Daily Desire

Each day brings a new adventure. An opportunity to capture a little of what I see as beauty in the world around me. Painting in different mediums gives me the chance to capture my mood and my art on canvas or paper.

Teaching, painting on location, or at my easel in the studio brings me great joy.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Vermont landscape painting


Someone ask me if I liked to do landscapes. I do and find that plein air painting really helps me judge values in nature. When I paint only from photos I tend to paint as dark as the darks in the photos and we all know that is not accurate. I painted this 12x16 oil on location, down in the creek bottom on a overcast day in last July, in Putney, Vermont. We spent a week there and painted everyday, even when it rained and we got soaked putting our supplies up. What fun. It is truly a lovely place. On the following Saturday we got to watch an oil demonstration done by Richard Schmid, one of my favorite artists. I will share some more on my plein air paintings at a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment